For more than 20 years, I have assisted district courts in handling aspects of patent litigation.
With a broad background in patent litigation, I have been asked on multiple occasions to assist district courts in handling aspects of complex patent cases about technologies ranging from encryption to guided vehicles to medical devices.
My experience includes advising courts on all aspects of the discovery process; claim construction briefing, argument, and decision; summary judgment proceedings; pre-trial proceedings, and trial. I have been appointed as a Special Master under F.R.C.P. §706, and as a Court-Appointed Expert under F.R.C.P. §53. Duties have included preparing reports and recommendations on infringement and validity, attending hearings, and preparing draft Markman rulings and summary judgment decisions.
Representative Appointments as Special Master or Court-Appointed Expert
- Protegrity v. Ingrian Networks, Inc.. Appointed by Court as technical advisor in database security litigation, providing technical assistance to aid in the Court's decisions, including explaining the function and operation of the technologies at issue and the scope and content of the asserted patents, discovery disputes, claim construction, dispositive motions, prior art, and USPTO procedures. Case dismissed before trial. (D. Conn. 2013)
- Nuance Communications, Inc. v. ABBYY Software House, Lexmark and eCopy, Inc. Appointed by Court as a special master litigation involving multiple patents related to optical character recognition (OCR) technology. Issued reports and recommendations on the order of patents, claims, and terms to be adjudicated, on scheduling orders, and on submission of late prior art. (N.D. Cal. 2014)
- Urologix, Inc. v. Prostalund AB,). Appointed assistant to the district court to prepare recommendations with respect to patent claim construction and summary judgment in patent litigation concerning a medical device. 227 F. Supp. 2d 1033 (E.D. Wis. 2002). Reconsideration of the patent was denied, 256 F. Supp. 2d 911 (E.D. Wis. 2003).
- Omega Mfg. Corp. v. Valley Tissue Pkg. Court-appointed special master in connection with patent claim construction hearing. Prepared claim construction decision and recommendations adopted by the district court on discovery motions in patent litigation relating to packaging of paper products. (E.D. Wis. 2002). Case was dismissed.
- Microelectronic Modules v. Maxim Integrated Prods. Court-appointed expert in connection with the preparation of patent claim construction recommendations and summary judgment recommendations to the district court in patent litigation concerning electrical circuitry. (E.D. Wis., filed 2001).
- Allen-Bradley Co. v. DataLink Techs. Court-appointed assistant to the district court in connection with preparation of recommendations regarding patent claim construction and summary judgment in complex patent litigation involving patents relating to programmable controllers for integrating multiple computer systems. (E.D. Wis. filed 1997).
- HK Systems, Inc. v. Mannesmann Dematic Rapistan Corp. Court-appointed expert assistant on claim construction issues and summary judgment motions on patents for automatic guided vehicles. Prepared recommendations on claim construction and multiple summary judgment motions. (E.D. Wis. filed 2000).